My Photo
Name:
Location: Ohio

Monday, March 20, 2006

The Long and Short of It...

Did you know that Steiff growler teddy bears can have one of two different growlers? What is a growler? What is a Steiff teddy bear? Well, these are things I didn't know either until I received a consignment that included several Steiff bears. Actually, yes, I did know about Steiff bears. I just didn't know anything beyond the fact that they were well made, collectible, and among the first to produce stuffed bears as toys. Growlers are noiseboxes that are supposed to mimic the growl of a bear when manipulated properly.

About the growler...I have a Steiff 1912 replica teddy bear listed right now. I mentioned in the listing that the growler works well. This morning I received a question from a potential buyer concerning whether the bear had a long or short growler. Huh?? In my research, I had not come across anything identifying different types of growlers so failed to mention it in my listing. I replied as well as I could, having no basis of comparison. Here's the actual text of my response to her:

"Hi Sue,
Thank you for your interest in this collectible bear. I've not had too much experience with Steiff bears with Growlers but this one seems to me to be long. I can't give an actual length, but to estimate, when I started it by leaning him back, I started counting at a normal pace. Each time, I got to '3' before the growler ended. I hope this helps in some way! Thanks again and happy bidding!
Pamela"


Admittedly, that is not the most informative answer I've ever written. My buyer replied quickly that a long growler sounds like a cow mooing. Well! There was my answer. This bear is definitely a cow in disguise, which is a good thing for me because it seems that some people collect bears with long growlers and others collect short growlers. My buyer has a penchant for the long growlers and said she will definitely be watching my bear. (Here's hoping she decides to bid on it, too!)

Lesson? Even thorough research might not tell you everything you need to know for your listing. Always answer your potential buyer's questions! If you don't know the answer, research and try to find it. If you still don't know, admit your ignorance and then ask the questioner for more info - they might be able to enlighten you enough for you to give a relevant answer. Whenever you do this, however, project a sincere desire to provide the information they need and don't sound too ignorant! : )

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home